Friday, October 5, 2007

Behold the Miracle of Swaddle

Yesterday I sent out an APB seeking advice from my mommy friends and family. My son is a snuggler and loves to nap on me during the day. We frequently go for Bjorn walks during the day. Max is quick to fall asleep and stay that way for hours at a time. It's sweeter than words can describe to look down at him snuggled against my chest in a state of bliss.

Sweet that is until you realize that he won't allow you to put him down. I'm pretty sure I delivered Max 7 weeks ago but it was starting to feel like he'd moved back in...all 12 and a half pounds of him. (Holla to Becca who carried twins who likely weighed that much or more at the end.)

My mom friends were quick to respond with advice and ideas. Surprisingly there was a general consensus amongst the responses. Here is what I learned....

1) Babies are either snugglers or not. Clearly Max is a snuggler.

2) Over time all snugglers will mature to a state where they don't need to snuggle with you anymore. Patti promised me that I wouldn't have to attend preschool with him in a Bjorn.

3) Not a good idea to let them cry it out at this point. He's much too young.

4) Swaddling, smooshing and stomach sleeping (if you dare) are all top solutions.

We already swaddle Max at night but I feared that if I did this during the day he might confuse his day sleep with his night sleep. I was reluctant to risk this since he does so well at night. However given the advice of many we decided to risk it and...go figure...that was it. Today he napped all of his naps unattached to me. He may not have slept as long or as hard but sleep he did.

Thanks to all the moms who e-mailed back with your sage advice. I love you all! XOXO

2 comments:

Glory Laine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glory Laine said...

Way to go Momma! One of the hardest parts about parenting a newborn is mustering up the energy to try something new. I can attests to that fact that most of the time even when you know something isn't working you're just too exhausted to exsperiment thus leading to bad habits. My Bjorn is stretching so thin having to carry 43 lbs of Tobin around.
Now lets get Max potty trained.