Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mother's Groups: Not Just for Nerds

Admittedly there is a long list of items that, in my pre-parent mind, I thought I would never succumb to. One of those would be mother's groups or playgroups. I could see the value in them but really they were just a little too nerdy for me. I have plenty of friends and family nearby, many with children, so what use would I have for one of those?

Fast forward into my 9th week of parenthood and I've attended mother's groups at 2 different area hospitals and have signed up for an additional playgroup in my neighborhood. Why the change of heart? I liken it to being a veteran of war. Nobody can relate to what you're experiencing like another veteran and soldiers currently in battle are even better. Or, as the mom's group facilitator put it yesterday, "It's like trying to describe having sex. You can come up with the words but does that really share what the experience was like?" A little racy but she has a point.

I also go to the group for inspiration. I will admit that I feel a sense of relief when I see the babies younger than Max and think, "Ha, at least I'm through that stage." I feel excitement and anticipation looking at the babies that are older. They lay contentedly on their blankets playing with toys and smiling at will. Soon enough!

P.S. Max slept for a 6 and a half hour stretch last night. Hooray!

2 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Yeah for six sweet hours! (I'll bet your boobs hurt) And a big yeah for mom's groups. I know I could handle much without out mine.

Tiffany said...

Hi, I found your blog through Becca's. I just have to say...reading your blog sends me back about 9 months to when my son was a newborn. Oh the mental struggles my husband and I went through trying to figure out what was right for feeding, sleeping (or trying to at least), pumping, giving a binkie, taking the baby out, and yada yada. I see through your entries you have worked through all this and then some as most new moms eventually do. Yeah for you! I'm convinced that even after reading all the advice books I could get my hands on and talking to any and every mom I could find with a baby on her hip, the best thing to do is go with your motherly instict and do what is right for you and your baby. As simple as that! Oh, and congrats for coming 'round and joining a mom's group - my own experience is they are essential to getting through the various stages of mommy-hood (my whole 9 months worth anyway!). Your war and soldier analogy cracks me up!