I signed up for an infant massage class for Max and I weeks if not months before he was born. It's an hour and a half class held 4 Wednesdays in a row. Originally the start time was 10:30 but I received a call a few weeks ago that the time had been changed to 1:30. Fine, whatever. However the past 2 days in a row Max has taken a 3 hour nap that begins at 1:30. Oooooo, what to do? Well, I really wanted to try the class so I let him nap from 9:30 to noon and hoped for the best.
Arriving at the hospital, parking was terrible. We finally found a spot after circling for 10 minutes. I reached into the back seat only to realize that I hadn't ever buckled Max into the car seat. OH NO! Straight out of the Britney Spears School of Mothering! Clearly I won't be winning any Mother of the Year awards. I'm hoping that is the first and last time that happens.
We quickly found the classroom and got cozy on a mat. In the beginning Max was smiling at me and content to be there. The instructor had us give lengthy introductions followed by a Q&A session. Max agreed that the introductions were lame and displayed his displeasure through a series of gas and poo expulsions. You tell 'em, kiddo! I spared my neighbors by performing the diaper change on the outskirts of the circle.
By this point Max's mood was deteriorating and I was starting to get a little ancy about getting this show on the road. He did fairly well through the massage but by the end he was ready to let loose. Poor kid was so tired! The instructor put on an 8 minute video to end the class and my sweet son decided enough was enough and let loose in a bellowing rage.
I pulled out the magic Bjorn and loaded up Max and our belongings. Sure enough, as soon as I stood and walked about 10 feet, Max stopped crying and was suddenly calm as can be. I could just hear him thinking, "Now that's much better. Why didn't you listen to me earlier?"
There wasn't a peep out of him as we made our way to the car. I loaded him in and he let loose for 2-3 minutes before falling asleep. On the way home I decided I needed chocolate. I went through the DQ drive thru and bought a chocolate-chocolate dipped cone.
My dilemma now is whether to attend the next 3 infant massage classes. We paid ahead but it wasn't very pricey. Also, this class conflicts with the mother's group I attend at another hospital. I'm tempted to ditch the remaining 3 classes and attend the other mother's group instead. Less stress for Max and I. Any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Since we're confessing, I too have not buckled a baby or two into the car seats. It's so easy to do when you arrive to one place and unbuckle his (or her) straps to make them more comfortable, only to cover him/her with a blanket. Fastward an hour and snap the car seat back in the car with your most precious cargo left, well, hanging. Just wait soon when Max is Tobin's age you'll be driving on the free way and he'll say to you proudly, "Mom I didn't know I was big enough to ride in my booster seat without my seatbelt!" (Shameful but true)
About the class, I say drop it. If it's not too spendy.... I think you'll benefit from the mom's group more and Max could nap at your social gathering.
I agree with Becca - if your gut at all says this is not for you, it is NOT worth it! You only have so long with him at home - make it fun hours, not nervous ones:)
Post a Comment