Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Standoff at the Dinner Table



Max must have been watching too many westerns recently. Last night he was finishing up his dinner at the table with Alex and I. He was becoming a bit restless and proceeded to smack his slimy hand on the table. Alex corrected him and told him "no". Max paused for thought then smacked his hand again and looked cautiously between the 2 of us. His look seemed to say, "What do you think about that? Whatcha gonna do now you big talking parents? Don't you dare laugh or I'll think it's a game!"

I think he was also testing his comprehension as in, "Oh this? This is what you don't want me to do? I better double check to make sure." Whack!

Fortunately he caught on after the second "no" and that was that but I've definitely been warned by the glint of challenge in his eye. He's not one to take no at face value. Oh, won't the terible 2's be fun? I'm sure this is just a hint of what's to come. Max is developing a mind of his own.

1 comment:

Glory Laine said...

Tobin has been going though the "It's not fair" stage. I hear all day long how it's not fair the babies don't have to make their beds or clean the playroom (his mess) or why they are not sent to time out after throwing food across the kitchen. Well tonight I wised up. After a whine session I asked Tobin if he wanted me to start treating him like I do the twins. He said yes. So they all went to bed at 7:30.