Monday, February 16, 2009

Spend the Money!


Alex and I have always been savvy shoppers when it comes to baby gear. $300-some jogging stroller? No way! A video monitor? Ha! The audio-only will suffice. I pride myself on my borderline obsessive research regarding which products are best. I'm like an encyclopedia of baby product user reviews, sales prices and model features.

As with all aspects of parenting there are always lessons to be learned.

That $300-some dollar stroller? Yeah, we just bought one last week. It's the BOB Revolution (pictured above) and I'll be the first to admit we should have bought one to begin with. No, I don't run, but we take 2-3 walks a day during decent weather and the Graco and InStep just don't cut it. The BOB is beautiful and worth every last cent for our lifestyle. Lesson learned: spend the money!

That video monitor? It arrived in the mail today and I'm currently watching my son put himself to sleep on a 2.5" night vision screen. That $40 audio-only monitor we received? I can count on one hand the number of times it came in handy. Now I can check in on Max from a floor away without having to open his door and risk waking him. Not to mention how cute it is seeing how he snuggles into the corner, grabs his lion lovey and drifts to sleep. I had no cluewhat he was up to. Lesson learned: spend the money!

One item of note regarding the baby video monitor.... Alex was home alone when it arrived. He pulled it out of the box and started connecting cords. When he turned the monitor on a sleeping baby appeared. Huh? The camera wasn't on yet and that wasn't our son. Was it a video simulation? No, upon closer inspection it was Maxwell from next door. Ends up that the next door neighbors have a similar model and our receivers are able to pick up each other's signals. Once our camera is on we no longer pick up the signal (nor if their camera is off). We went to Maxwell's birthday this evening and passed on the news so that Mike and Melissa are aware. They're moving in a few weeks so it shouldn't be a long-term issue. Never the less, I'll be sure to turn the camera off when it's not in use.

2 comments:

Patti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti said...

You will never regret your purchase of Bob! Bob is like a member of our family. We call him Bob. We do not say "Will you please put the stroller in the van?" We say, "Hey, grab Bob, will ya?" My only regret is in not purchasing a double. But a friend of mine has one and she ocmplains about the extra-wide load and heaviness, so maybe I don't regret it all that much.

But, I love Bob. We'll probably keep Bob long after the boys stop using it. Our very favorite baby purchase, for sure! Worth every penny. We love the accessories, too :o)